Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Recap of 2 home poker games in '07

We've played two nights so far in 2007, with good turnouts both times!

In the first game on Thursday the 11th, Ian took me out in the big game on one of the first hands of heads-up. I had Q-9, and the flop was K-Q-9. I checked, he bet, I raised all-in, and he called me with K-K! I was drawing dead to running Queens or 9's, or running 10-J for a split. No such luck. Corky finished 3rd.

Six of us stuck around for a quick game 2. I was first to get bounced out, and I decided to pay a visit to my girlfriend M's house and let the guys close up my house for me when they were done. Apparently Mark and Mike chopped the 1st/2nd prize money, after Ian broke even by taking down 3rd place. The next morning, I came home to find a wad of rain-soaked toilet paper next to my Japanese maple tree. I had told them to put the house key next to the tree, but I wasn't really sure what I was going to find in the toilet paper, especially knowing that Corky was probably involved in the process. Whew, it was the key...

Last Friday, we had 11 players, but decided to squeeze around one table instead of two. Corky played for a total of no more than 20 minutes in two games combined, in the usual Corky fashion. The scary thing is, whenever he survives the first level, he's more likely to win it all than anyone. I didn't even sniff at the money in either game. The first one was a winner-take-all/chop game, and Ryan sat on a short stack for almost the whole time until rallying to win the most money. 5 others got a pretty decent piece of the prize pool.

In game 2, I don't have a great recollection of the hands played, thanks to the empty pitcher of White Russians and the stack of Miller High Life empties. I busted out by making an all-in flop raise with a stone cold bluff against Darren, who called me with just Ace high. He had to have picked up on a tell, although the bet was a little strange, not so much by the amount, but it probably looked like a "I don't want you to call me" bet. Still, a gutsy call by Darren. "Nice hand, good game, I'll go home now." Oops, I'm already home.

Greg got third place but deserved much more. Jeff had him out-chipped by a little, and the two got in a raise-fest preflop, which ended up all-in with Jeff showing A-Q and Greg with A-A. There was brief discussion before the flop about how Jeff could win the hand, which is only about 10% (by either hitting trip Queens or a straight or flush.) Well, he didn't hit any of those, he got QUAD QUEENS, and Greg was out. Later, Jeff got it all-in again preflop against Darren, again as an underdog with Q-3, and hit a full house. Game over!

I'm keeping track of a new player standings race for 2007. The formula is kind of halfway between an average and a total -- here are the current Top 3:

1) 1624 Jeff B.
2) 1310 Ian B.
3) 1089 Greg P.

Haven't figured out what the winner will get...maybe uninvited in 2008?

Looks like a small game tomorrow night. We only have 4 so far, doesn't look good for many more... :(

No comments: